Did you know that electrical fires are the number one killer of people in the home? In fact according to the Australian bureau of statistics, over 100 people die each and every year from house related fires caused by electrical faults. The sad thing is that in most cases these deaths could have easily been prevented. By having a good understanding of the possible causes and effects of electrical faults then it is possible to prevent them from happening. With this in mind, lets take a closer look at 5 of the main causes of electrical fires.
Poor electrical connections
Any time electricity flows from one place to another it creates heat. Under normal circumstances the heat is minimal as good home wiring is designed to prevent any form of build up in your electrical system. On some occasions failing or faulty devices create far more heat than they actually should. Some examples of this could be worn or loose power outlets, faulty switches, old or corroded electrical fittings. For this reasons items should be checked on a regular basis.
Extension cord overload
Extension cords are extremely common causes of house fires. In older homes especially there just aren’t the amount of plugs needed to house all your electrical gadgets and for this reason extension cords are an all too familiar sight. This isn’t usually a problem in itself until people start plugging extension cords into extension cords. Often this exceeds the current rating for the appliance and could cause the plug in the wall to overheat and eventually, catch fire. If you have to place an extension cable into another extension cable then you really do need to invest in another plug socket.
In some circumstances electrical equipment can fail in such a way that it doesn’t trip a circuit breaker, or blow a fuse, but the equipment in question can still draw more current than it should. Overtime heat can build up causing damage to wiring and the circuit breaker or fuse itself. If for instance a fan is turning too slowly, yet the electrical cord is hot, then chances are that it’s drawing more current than it should. If this happens then either get it repaired or better still, replace it altogether.
Any qualified and conscientious electrician will always follow the guidelines in order to produce a safe and effective electrical wiring system. Electrical technicians are fully trained and know exactly what they’re doing. Unfortunately badly botched wiring can be a killer. Electricity is something that you really can’t and shouldn’t cut corners with, so call in the professionals.
As Christmas is fast approaching it’s a timely reminder that Christmas decorations remain one of the main causes of electrical fires. This time of year extension cords are strung everywhere, lights are placed in foliage, and candles are often left without supervision. It’s easy to see how Christmas decorations can be a recipe for disaster. To avoid issues, run checks on all your Christmas decorations when you get them out of the attic and discard anything with faulty bulbs, wiring, and sockets.
If you need a professional to install your electrics or to run electrical safety checks on your home then talk to Static Electrics. We’ve been in the industry for many years so why not give us a call and speak to our friendly team on 07 3359 7537 today and get total peace of mind.